Click on Book Cover
to Order Neal's Book
In addition, Neal has taught both graduate and undergraduate courses within the USA and internationally. He has an impressive array of academic credentials (PhD, JD, MA-ICS, MPA and Graduate Banking Degree), which allow him to bring both a practical and academic perspective to his teaching. He teaches in a wide array of subjects related to Christian mission, international development, global economics, business and banking, entrepreneurship, law and globalization. Neal has a long-standing passion for Christ in the marketplace; speaks, teaches and preaches, both domestically and internationally, on transforming communities globally through Christian business and entrepreneurial education; and has authored a major textbook on that topic, Business as Mission (BAM): A Comprehensive Guide to Theory and Practice (InterVarsity Academic 2009).
Neal has traveled in over 70 countries and lived in 12; pastored a church in northern Italy; served on the mission field in the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Guatemala and El Salvador; planted a church in Kazakhstan where he preached for three years; and served on the Boards of Directors for missions in Armenia, Moscow and Latin America.
Since an early age, Neal, like many of us, has had a driving passion for and fascination with the movies! He has educated himself on the realities and demands of the film industry through numerous workshops, film festivals, conferences and symposia, including the Sundance Film Institute in Park City, Utah, where he studied under Director and Screenwriter Oliver Stone (Platoon, JFK, Midnight Express (Academy Award), Scarface and Born on the 4th of July).
Neal has written several screenplays with his writing partner, Toni Haas (it is definitely a collaborative art form!). They have won top regional honors on their scripts, and are currently finishing a compelling script on the human and faith struggles of a Navy Chaplain in the midst of the Vietnam War.
Neal is a native of New Mexico and, after all of his extensive travels, says that he has “come home” to Pagosa Springs from Southern California. He still teaches online for a Christian university in Fullerton, CA.
• Business as Mission: A Comprehensive Guide to Theory and Practice. InterVarsity Press, 2009. (528 pages.)
• “Life Without Ethics.” Foreword, in How Do Ethics Affect Your Bottom Line? Considerations for CEOs and Senior Administrators, Randall A. Smith, ed. Jackson, Mississippi: Belhaven Books, 2007.
• “The Distinctives and Challenges of Business as Mission,” with Steven L. Rundle. In Business as Mission: From Impoverished to Empowered, Tom Steffen and Mike Barnett, eds. Pp. 16-36. William Carey Library: Pasadena, CA, 2006.
• “God’s Transformation To, Within, and Through the Marketplace: Toward a Marketplace Missiology.” A paper presented at the IFMA/ EMS national conference, Minneapolis, MN, September 24, 2005.
• “Business as Mission: The Distinctives and Challenges of a New Approach of a New Approach to World Mission’” with Steven L. Rundle. A paper presented at the Interdenominational Foreign Mission Association (IFMA) and the Evangelical Missiological Society (EMS) national conference, Minneapolis, MN, September 23, 2005.
• “Transformation to, within and through the Marketplace.” In A Unifying Vision of the Church’s Mission, Luis K. Bush, ed. Pp. 63-69. Pattaya, Thailand: 2004 Forum for World Evangelization.
• “God’s Mission To, Within, and Through the Marketplace: Toward a Marketplace.” PhD dissertation, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2004.
• International Faith and Work Directory 2003-2004. Co-editor with Mike McLoughlin, David Miller and Os Hillman. Cummings, GA: Aslan, 2004.
• “Book Review of On Kingdom Business.” In Missiology: An International Review (April 2004) XXXII(2):245-246.
• “Marketplace Missiology.” In The Mentor (January/February 2004). La Mirada, CA: Biola University School of Business.
• “Toward a Marketplace Missiology.” In Missiology: An International Review (January 2003) XXXI(1):87-97.
• Directory of Marketplace Ministries 2003. Editor. Pasadena, CA: Institute for Marketplace Ministries, 2003.
• “Glad You Asked!” In The Bible in Business, R. Jenson, ed. Pp. 19-21. Sisters, OR: Questar, 1989.
• “Living Wisdom.” In The Bible in Business, R. Jenson, ed. Pp. 75-77. Sisters, OR: Questar, 1989.
Mondays — 9:00-11:00 a.m.
C. Neal Johnson, PhD, JD
Leader of WCCWN Script Writers Group
Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
Neal Johnson comes to us with an extensive and unique 45-year background as an attorney, banker, educator, business consultant and entrepreneur, both internationally and domestically. He has had a most interesting career, during which he has served in such widely diverse positions as President of a community bank, President of the New Mexico Bankers Association, District Governor of Rotary International, co-founder of the first western style bank in the former Soviet Republic of Kazakhstan and one of the negotiators on the Panama Canal Treaty.